Subliminal Talk
"reverse psychology" - Printable Version

+- Subliminal Talk (https://subliminal-talk.com)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-Other-Topics)
+--- Forum: The Chatter Box (https://subliminal-talk.com/Forum-The-Chatter-Box)
+--- Thread: "reverse psychology" (/Thread-reverse-psychology)

"reverse psychology" - ronatello - 01-11-2011

I figure I would start a topic on this. What I'm discussing is not really reverse psychology in the traditional sense, it does if fact strike a chord due to the fact the way the subconscious handles things (tends to not think and process in negatives).
So it's like this
Try NOT to play the eye game.
Think about that one suggestion for a while.
Try NOT to imagine yourself being surrounded by people you love.
And so on.
Try NOT to visualize a shoe...

What happens to you when you get told no? You want to do it MORE. Smile

RE: "reverse psychology" - Jay - 01-13-2011

To sprucen this topic up a bit, because I have no clue what you expect from me. Smile

Edit: Added second and third part for those interested.

RE: "reverse psychology" - RainbowAbyss - 01-13-2011

Nooo
what's happens to the kitten!
Id press that butten so fast lol
Jk Id wouldn't want to fry the poor thing

RE: "reverse psychology" - ronatello - 01-13-2011

The videos posted here pretty much proves my point... being told NO increases the want even more. So that being said, when phrasing affirmations, always use positives... or use a negative that masquerades as a positive (kinda like a Jedi Mind Trick... ) Smile
Don't approach women and say hi.
Don't smile.

See what I mean Wink
And...
don't kill kittens either!

RE: "reverse psychology" - Spiral - 01-14-2011

wow... 5 minutes isn't a long time. Now maybe if it was a 30 min. ordeal I may find myself almost pressing the button. I would never kill an animal though so that chick is a devilish bleep

RE: "reverse psychology" - Shannon - 01-14-2011

I haven't watched the videos, don't have time right now... but, the subconscious being accessed directly has no such "I want it more because it's being denied" response. That is a function of the conscious mind. I have theorized that hypnotists and NLP allow for use of negatives because the conscious mind is still present and "translating", but not actively participating otherwise.

RE: "reverse psychology" - DisneylandUSA - 10-15-2016

(01-11-2011, 05:26 PM)ronatello Wrote: I figure I would start a topic on this. What I'm discussing is not really reverse psychology in the traditional sense, it does if fact strike a chord due to the fact the way the subconscious handles things (tends to not think and process in negatives).
So it's like this
Try NOT to play the eye game.
Think about that one suggestion for a while.
Try NOT to imagine yourself being surrounded by people you love.
And so on.
Try NOT to visualize a shoe...

What happens to you when you get told no? You want to do it MORE. Smile

No, means 'No.' It has been debatable about discouragement brings about the desire to succeed. Families have relatives that are successful and, competition strives when relatives only communicate if they see outward appearance such as: careers, finances, vacations. Psychology talks about 'Negative re-enforcement' to bring about Change. With my personality, I try to stay away from 'naysayers' and try to motivate myself internally... perhaps, 'no, means 'yes.' Tongue