Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Installing Linux on Windows 10 Machines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I get any help on this topic. I used to be able to just change the boot order to launch the .iso but that wont work.
They messed everything up with their new secure boot technology and all the other stuff around it Wacko
It's supposed to be simple but only in theory. In practice it's so buggy that I didn't install linux on my new machine, I don't feel like wasting my time on it. But maybe it's better by now, I remember spending 2 days on a machine about 2 years ago .

But from you said the first step is just to change an option in your bios, disable the secure boot option or something like that.
Or your iso is not compatible with the new hardware you have, so you have to wait for a new kernel to get a fix if you get an error while booting.
I wanted to install Linux Mint and Cloud Ready on my Computer.
Try changing the setting in your bios, that's the easiest part. Then you are up for madness after that Popcorn

Maybe Cyanide knows more :idea: if he is a Linux freak Whistle
Indeed I am Wink Perhaps freak is a bit generous but I do live on Ubuntu and I do not have any windows machines.

What are you having issues with, booting or the installation?
Tell us more about what you are experiencing and what you have done so far.

Download ISO, copy to flash drive, make flash bootable, boot to flash, run the install and install it (as dual boot or wipe out the windows install), that should be it.
For some reason, I have had to change the legacy boot order to launch linux.

Never had to before but if I don't, then a notice will come up saying that no boot device has been loaded.

Also, probably wise to put the network adaptor last on the order.
(10-14-2017, 08:43 AM)Cyanide Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed I am Wink Perhaps freak is a bit generous but I do live on Ubuntu and I do not have any windows machines.

What are you having issues with, booting or the installation?
Tell us more about what you are experiencing and what you have done so far.

Download ISO, copy to flash drive, make flash bootable, boot to flash, run the install and install it (as dual boot or wipe out the windows install), that should be it.

I first Tried Cloud Ready which is a Chromium OS for regular computers and Disabled Safe boot and changed boot order to USB first. (Ran in UEFI)

Black Screen when booting

Then I Changed the Settings to Legacy while still having safe boot disabled.

Black Screen while booting with a blinking _ _ _

And Yes I created a functional Live USB.

I am now trying Linux Mint which Is a Ubuntu with another name so Ill see how that works.
I have not played with Cloud Ready. I have done a full install of Mint and Ubuntu without issue however. If Mint works and Cloud does not then it may be an issue with the ISO.

I have had issues in the past using crappy software on windows to create a bootable flash. It may be worth while to grab a different program.
Yeah often I had to do redo a bootable device too. I tried many software but it seems all of them fuck up once in a while.

And contrary to Cyanide experience on linux it was fucking up more often than with windows. And yes I love linux Lipssealed but sometimes it just suck too Whistle