Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Andrew's Journal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone. For those who may not know me, I am the one behind all the websites and servers, replacing :idea:'s and servicing :exclamation::exclamation::exclamation: as they go out Big Grin

As for where I am in the hierarchy, Shannon and I work with equal authority up top and only move forward on something when we can reach consensus. Ben works through us, AYD and Roy work through both us and Ben.

Shannon, Andrew >> Ben >> Roy, AYD

If this is the first time you've heard of me, hi Smile Sometimes I have to be the bad guy on policy, but hopefully you won't have to know me in that way. But if you've ever had something escalated by Ben, you usually get me for most things, if you're really lucky you'll get Shannon. Usually Ben asks me about store/tech/order stuff, and Shannon about subliminal questions when not referring you to the forum.

I'm increasing my forum presence a little bit and starting up this journal in case any one wants to get ahold of me as well as with a goal in mind I will describe shortly. While I am not able to make anything but emergency changes on the website or forum due to my current health, nor can I help you with any orders, I am here for a while if you have any serious grievances or concerns on the forum. I am opening up my private messages for a little while, but it will likely be a temporary thing as even when I was active in the forums I did not keep my PM's open.

I may even post some of my thoughts or musings here after having closed by BAMM journal, but undecided so far. I closed it and moved it off of public view until my health is good enough to resume it. Until then, I still have to focus on healing. I do look forward to the day I can run BAMM again.

I mostly need to get a feel again for how the forum is ticking as it has been a long time since I've been able to engage at all. The good news is my health has gotten better over the last year and a half since it hit rock bottom, and I am able to post this and get involved a bit again.

I have been getting various reports and letters written to Ben of people that feel the forum has become a negative place. I am investigating wherever these reports come from, seeing if I can make systemic changes (ideally), rule elaboration/specification where needed (okay) and new rules where absolutely necessary (not ideal).

I am not interested in using force to get there, but rather finding ways to encourage being respectful and constructive, while finding ways to softly discourage bad behavior. Shannon had a good idea on this which he or I may detail at a future point.

So if you have concerns or questions, please write me or post below. Remember my journal is in the family & work safe section (on purpose) so keep any public posts to me clean and asterisk free.

Thank you and hope to hear from you. If not, I'll be here if you need me.
Is that your true post count or are you just counting the whole of the subliminal talk forum. Hard to believe that you have that many posts. Im just curious about that.

And also I have wondered why does the Site start rejecting load requests when the people on the site reaches in the 90s or above. That's a low number of people and I'm wondering if it's an error or intentional and thought out.

Have you also tried MHS for your ailments.
Just curious, are you doing MHS or the sub Shannon created for you before MHS?
(08-16-2017, 12:22 PM)Daredevil Wrote: [ -> ]Is that your true post count or are you just counting the whole of the subliminal talk forum. Hard to believe that you have that many posts. Im just curious about that.

Haha no, just like how I have no stars it's a joke Wink At the beginning of the forum it was 9001 but that became believable about a year in. Maybe I should make it higher since apparently, it is even somewhat remotely believable...when bumped it up to this high the forum was even still much younger. My true post count is very low, especially since most the posts I made in the early days of the forum when I was very active are deleted at this point.

Quote:And also I have wondered why does the Site start rejecting load requests when the people on the site reaches in the 90s or above. That's a low number of people and I'm wondering if it's an error or intentional and thought out.

It shouldn't be doing that anymore. The forum is on a cloud, may be a bottleneck there but I'd find that hard to believe. Unless it's happening a lot probably won't address it unless it's still happening after I eventually upgrade the forum.

Quote:Have you also tried MHS for your ailments.

Quote: Just curious, are you doing MHS or the sub Shannon created for you before MHS?

Yes, the OE part of it got me to the eventual treatments that started working. He had me discontinue it because of other reasons though, so I'm not on anything for a while besides trying out various pain relief subs every once in a while.
I used to manage a handful of MyBB forums. LeetCoders (defunct, but still on WayBack Machine) at its peak had 12k members. I was the admin on Leetcoders and a handful of other smaller forums so I am very familiar with MyBB in its entirety including the moderation end of things. I had around 10 mods who were enthusiasts on the topic of interest, being coding and programming: namely the creation of hack tools. I'm 23, and in years past I made these sites purely for my own enjoyment. I now work for a fortune 500 tech company who's name I wont mention here (PM is fine).

I am more than happy to assist or carry out MyBB functions in the event of your absence due to health concerns or to help out in a general sense.

Pleased to meet ya Andrew Smile

edit: wow, this site really aught to use Cloud Flare. Cloudflare.com. Helps tremendously with load balancing and speed improvements, not to mention the free version can stop a moderate sized DDoS attack, plus a host of other features that prevent SQL injection among other things.
http://www.doesitusecloudflare.com/?url=...l-talk.com
(08-16-2017, 02:38 PM)Arsenic Wrote: [ -> ]I used to manage a handful of MyBB forums. LeetCoders (defunct, but still on WayBack Machine) at its peak had 12k members. I was the admin on Leetcoders and a handful of other smaller forums so I am very familiar with MyBB in its entirety including the moderation end of things. I had around 10 mods who were enthusiasts on the topic of interest, being coding and programming: namely the creation of hack tools. I'm 23, and in years past I made these sites purely for my own enjoyment. I now work for a fortune 500 tech company who's name I wont mention here (PM is fine).

I am more than happy to assist or carry out MyBB functions in the event of your absence due to health concerns or to help out in a general sense.

edit: wow, this site really aught to use Cloud Flare. Cloudflare.com. Helps tremendously with load balancing and speed improvements, not to mention the free version can stop a moderate sized DDoS attack, plus a host of other features that prevent SQL injection among other things.

We used to use cloudflare, but it had a lot of errors, even worse had a big global delay at first when trying to use their horrendous DNS, and had crazy amounts of downtime and issues back then. Is it better now? When it worked, it did work, but I found optimizing the forum as it was gave it almost the performance of what it could do back then without the uptime/reliability problems. It really was a piece of junk back then. I appreciate the offer to help. I may take you up on it when moving to the latest mybb. Which has always been a painful idea because I felt this generation of mybb really hit a sweet spot and of course our old theme isn't compatible...blah blah
(08-16-2017, 02:50 PM)Andrew Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2017, 02:38 PM)Arsenic Wrote: [ -> ]I used to manage a handful of MyBB forums. LeetCoders (defunct, but still on WayBack Machine) at its peak had 12k members. I was the admin on Leetcoders and a handful of other smaller forums so I am very familiar with MyBB in its entirety including the moderation end of things. I had around 10 mods who were enthusiasts on the topic of interest, being coding and programming: namely the creation of hack tools. I'm 23, and in years past I made these sites purely for my own enjoyment. I now work for a fortune 500 tech company who's name I wont mention here (PM is fine).

We used to use cloudflare, but it had a lot of errors, even worse had a big global delay at first when trying to use their horrendous DNS, and had crazy amounts of downtime and issues back then. Is it better now? When it worked, it did work, but I found optimizing the forum as it was gave it almost the performance of what it could do back then without the uptime/reliability problems. It really was a piece of junk back then. I appreciate the offer to help. I may take you up on it when moving to the latest mybb. Which has always been a painful idea because I felt this generation of mybb really hit a sweet spot and of course our old theme isn't compatible...blah blah

Cloudflare was crap for the first 2 years or so. It's been out for awhile and has come a LONG way. I might know a handful of (friendly) shady folk who hate cloudflare because it means they can no longer screw with a site Wink CF alone should prevent the 'need' to upgrade mybb versions. I used to deal with the hacking / coding crowd so my site was a prime target and as such I updated whenever the newest version of MyBB came out. If you do use CF, the only reason I see for upgrading is if you want to use a certain plugin that is not backward compatible (aside from editing the compatibility code within the plugin) or if you want to switch themes for more modern functionality and feel. Having said that, my offer still stands to help out with a version upgrade if you ever need a hand with it in the future!
Arsenic Wrote:Cloudflare was crap for the first 2 years or so. It's been out for awhile and has come a LONG way. I might know a handful of (friendly) shady folk who hate cloudflare because it means they can no longer screw with a site Wink CF alone should prevent the 'need' to upgrade mybb versions. I used to deal with the hacking / coding crowd so my site was a prime target and as such I updated whenever the newest version of MyBB came out. If you do use CF, the only reason I see for upgrading is if you want to use a certain plugin that is not backward compatible (aside from editing the compatibility code within the plugin) or if you want to switch themes for more modern functionality and feel. Having said that, my offer still stands to help out with a version upgrade if you ever need a hand with it in the future!

Thanks Arsenic, really appreciate that Smile Tell you what, I'll see about starting my Cloudflare account back up in the next few days, and if I have issues with it maybe you can go in there and fix whatever settings are causing issue.
Quote:Is that your true post count or are you just counting the whole of the subliminal talk forum. Hard to believe that you have that many posts. Im just curious about that.

I'll say just one thing..

SUPER SAIYANS ARE REAL!

Cool
Quote:Haha no, just like how I have no stars it's a joke Wink At the beginning of the forum it was 9001 but that became believable about a year in.

LOL it's over 9000
Incase anyone is wondering, this video is the inspiration! When I first watched it, tears of laughter.

And some special effects and it gets even better...

Wishing you all the best with your health.
I didn't know u were real..
Quote:I didn't know u were real..

Big Grin

Hahaha, I don't know what to say to this. Tongue
Pages: 1 2