Subliminal Talk

Full Version: Why isn't my burned CD working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've had this happen a few times before when I've burned a sub onto a CD, but I've never asked.

I wished to check an old boom box's speakers (early 2000's era) for playing silent (ultrasonic) subs. So I burned the free test track onto a CD-R. It plays on my desktop PC (Win7) where I burned it, using either WMP or VLC. The CD-R is a Phillips 700MB, and I burned it with Windows Media Player. I burned an mp3.

But when I play the CD in my boombox, no sound is heard.

I turned up the sound. Nothing.
I played with the sound equalizer. Nothing.

Why won't it play? I've wished to play a silent sub on loop, yet I'm unsure why it's not working. The boombox has good speakers, both high and low frequencies, plus I'd like to be able to shut down my PC sometimes and not kill the sub playing.

I'm glad I can ask here.
(04-17-2017, 04:11 PM)findingme Wrote: [ -> ]I've had this happen a few times before when I've burned a sub onto a CD, but I've never asked.

I wished to check an old boom box's speakers (early 2000's era) for playing silent (ultrasonic) subs. So I burned the free test track onto a CD-R. It plays on my desktop PC (Win7) where I burned it, using either WMP or VLC. The CD-R is a Phillips 700MB, and I burned it with Windows Media Player. I burned an mp3.

But when I play the CD in my boombox, no sound is heard.

I turned up the sound. Nothing.
I played with the sound equalizer. Nothing.

Why won't it play? I've wished to play a silent sub on loop, yet I'm unsure why it's not working. The boombox has good speakers, both high and low frequencies, plus I'd like to be able to shut down my PC sometimes and not kill the sub playing.

I'm glad I can ask here.

You need to burn with Nero 9/10. Some cd player cant just able to play it inly with an mp3 player file itself. They need some other things.
Thanks Most Wanted. I checked it out and I can definitely use that.

A question I had before moving forward: I found one can burn CD's if one installs codecs on VLC. I'm wondering if this has similar or relevant software. I'd be using Nero beyond the 15 day trial, so if I can use a free setup I would.

Thanks for your imput.
Nero may not be good, you don't want it to recode the file at all. I know cdburnerxp a free program doesn't if you use wav like in this guide. It's how I used to do it.

http://subliminal-talk.com/Thread-How-To...A-Download
some devices don't play burned cd's (some cars are notorious for this XD). Does your boom box play other burned cd's?
My car plays them randomly, sometimes I get ERROR 6.. not error 6!

I still have no idea what error 6 is, but I know that I hate it!
(04-25-2017, 07:42 AM)eternity Wrote: [ -> ]some devices don't play burned cd's (some cars are notorious for this XD). Does your boom box play other burned cd's?
Sorry, I never noticed alerts in my email, and just found this browsing the forum.

I have no idea if it plays other burned CD's since (so far) I'd only burned silent CD's. I'd made 6 or so in the last 6 months, and haven't used them consistently. I'll have to burn an audible track, test it, and get back to you. I do know it plays regular CD's.

Thanks for the reply.
I wished to make some personal CD's again, and I followed up, looking up Nero and other CD burning software. I downloaded one free program, but I was left with too many unanswered questions--specifically "would it work?"

So I googled "burned CD won't play" and saw one link showing {SOLVED}, so I checked it out.

The short answer is that my Media Player was set to record as a Data CD, not an audio CD. Additionally, I read old boom boxes and cars can be sensitive to CD's burned in the fastest mode. So I set my burning speed to medium.

It worked. I first burned the 20K audio test file, and it played on my boom box. I then burned ultrasonic E2, and am playing it on loop on my boom box. So my problem is officially solved.