Subliminal Talk

Full Version: making sure subs are working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone else suggested using a frequency analyzer to make sure the subs are coming through. I put one on my Android phone and found out that when my laptop is closed it's muffling the sub significantly. I've been using the freq analyzer to "see" the ultrasonic sub in the 17khz range.

The apps I found most useful are FrequenSee HD (very simple) and Speedy Spectrum Analyzer (more scientific, will tell you the freq of the peaks). Try muting/unmuting your playback and you can see the 17k spikes appear and disappear. You'll also see peaks at the resonant frequency of various things in your environment (air conditioner, fans, etc.)

Shannon should there be any other spikes?
Why would you close your laptop while it's playing? And why would it surprise you that it muffles the results when you do?

On FrequenSee, there should be a spike that peaks around 17 kHz. I haven't used the other one.
(08-05-2013, 04:08 PM)Shannon Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you close your laptop while it's playing? And why would it surprise you that it muffles the results when you do?

On FrequenSee, there should be a spike that peaks around 17 kHz. I haven't used the other one.

I can close my laptop and hear iTunes playing clearly, I am guessing the closed case absorbs the higher frequencies more than the audible ones.